Sunday, August 13, 2006

RelationSHIPS that didn't set sail.

Aight, so sKANK didn't happen, this weekend. Will catch it during the early week. Abstinence from this mega-hyped movie has been possible due to collective negative opinion from sources from here and home.

Talking of home, I finally did a BicyTaxi ride, recently, and struck an interesting conversation with the cyclist, Hussain from Turkey - An Industrial Engineering student from Ankara, on summer vacation, provided with boarding and lodging by the association, and earning a cut of daily earnings to sightsee in NYC. Why does he do it? To meet new people, he tells me. I asked him if he'll ever settle down here in the US. The categorical answer? No. Why?

His answer made me think substantially.

He said, because it'll never be home.

A sentiment that I resemble. But it also makes you wonder - what is home? At a younger age, it was a zone where we felt safe. But today, is there such a place? At the end of the day, home is where you call it. At the back of the taxicab, on your way home from clubbing. At a rented apartment after a long day of work. At your friend's place, where he/she serves you hot coffee and solace after a fight with your significant other. At a sunset on a beach, far far away.

If home, like every other aspect of life, can be considered temporary - a haven that provides you with comfort and satisfaction from time to time - that would fuel the sustenance of a nomadic lifestyle.

In other news, Hedonism Week came to a glorious end on Friday, with Katra. Many thanks to my partners in wine, Nicole, Jen, Jonas, Chevy, Eric, Tracy (Cosa Nostro), Didi, Vinit, Amit, Michelle, Mel 'n' Nal, Shalini, Droofus and Rembrandt. And of course, that sizzlin' Uzbek waitress at Avalon who started throwing thongs out at everybody, when the Sisqo remix came on.

Trance re-discovered after a heady session of trance-grass and club-hopping during the week. I realized that the rulers of my trance-world remain the same. For progressive, deep, house, techno and ambient, it would have to be Darude, ATB, Tiesto, Tandu (Ayla), Oakenfold and Paul Van Dyk. And for percussive, there's just Safri Duo, and ATB's mixes of them. For collections - three words for you - Ministry of Sound.

Till the beat stops, people.

1 comment:

Tee said...

I agree with Hussain, I doubt this will ever feel like home. I'm not sure if I want to make it home. I wonder if our parents shared the same sentiment when they left des to earn a living in the Middle east.