Friday, June 02, 2006

do UTians pUT oUT? jUsT a thoUghT

Daym! My fingers hurt with all those Shifts and Ctrl-Bs. But, here's a note from a fellow blogger at UT-Austin.

"Most of the billboards around the UT campus feature alcohol and/or scantily-clad women. But one austere black-on-white billboard on Guadelupe has intrigued me as I drive past it on my way home from work:


{first 10-digit prime found in the consecutive digits of e}.com

If you find the aforementioned prime (I, personally, was surprised at how far out in the decimal expansion of e one has to go to find it), and visit the corresponding website, you are greeted with a second puzzle:

f(1 )=7182818284
f(2 )=8182845904
f(3 )=8747135266
f(4 )=7427466391
f(5 )=__________

and you’re told to visit a second website, using “Bobsyouruncle” as a Username and the value of f(5 ) as a password.

When you get there, you’re greeted with an offer to submit your resumé … to Google.

"One thing we learned while building Google is that it’s easier to find what you’re looking for if it comes looking for you. What we’re looking for are the best engineers in the world. And here you are.

As you can imagine, we get many, many resumes every day, so we developed this little process to increase the signal to noise ratio. … You’ll find links to more information about our efforts below, but before you get immersed in machine learning and genetic algorithms, please send your resume to us at …"

Now that’s a sexy advertising campaign.
"

Amen!

In other news, tired of hearing that India's still considered a third world country, I HAVE to ask .. where le fugue is the Second World??

3 comments:

Paresh said...

it's the interweb you foo. Le World de Duex

Paresh said...

also - don't you wish you were smart enough for google? I wish I was.

It's 2006, do you know where your frontal lobes are?

E-Volver said...

Nah, I don't wish to work for Google. I think I make more money consulting for them right now, for their Asia-Pacific marketing. :-)