Wednesday, May 31, 2006

beReaving in Bhairav

One of the most intense raags in Hindustani Classical, Bhairav, is immortalized by the classic song, "Babul Mora Naihar Chuuto hi Jaaye". This song has been sung by several legends throughout history - K.L. Saigal, Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, Jagjit Singh, Girija Devi, Ghulam Ali - each and every one of them paying homage to a raag whose intensity is boundless.

babul mora naihar chuuto hi jaaye
chaar kahaar mil, mori Doliiyaa uthaaye
more apanaa begana chhuTo hi jaaye, anganaa to parbat bhaye,
dehlii bhayi bides je baabul ghar aapano, mai chali piya ke des

This is a tragic Thumri by Nawab Wajid Ali Shah of Awadh, who wrote this when he was exiled for rebellion against the British, from Lucknow to Calcutta. Thanks to "Quizman" for this translation, which has conveyed, rather accurately, the propensity of what many believe to be one of the greatest songs ever written.

O father, I depart forcibly from my home
Four men gathered to lift my palanquin {see the wedding/funeral analogy here?}
my loved ones will become strangers
the innermost portals of my home will be unreachable
as I leave my father's home and go to my husband's country.

If you have 18 minutes, are interested in the intensity of Hindustani Classical music and would like to experience the magic of Raag Bhairavi, I truly recommend listening to the live Thumri version of this song by Pt. Bhimsen Joshi, here. This rendition is exceptional.

No comments: