Thursday, July 03, 2008

"Anytime she goes away..."

Ain't No Sunshine: One of the most "covered" songs in history, and one of my all time favorites. Withers composed this back in '71 while he designed toilet seats for jumbo jets. Apparently he still had to write lyrics for the part where he repeats "I know I know" 26 times, but he decided to leave it just as it was. Amazing.

The Jackson 5 version (lead vocals by Michael)

The Stryke version (Azul Project) - from Challe's Nirvana Lounge

David Sanborn (featuring Sting)

Kenny Rogers

Eva Cassidy

And yet nothing like original. Take it away, Mr. Bill Withers.

I guess some melodies are timeless - no matter how you sing it.

3 comments:

Zeenat Rasheed said...

Yep, this is definitely one of my all-time favorite songs. But I think the best cover was done by Lighthouse Family, I believe it was on the soundtrack of Notting Hill.. excellently done - you should go hear it!

E-Volver said...

Yup. That's an awesome version, I couldn't find it on Imeem.

I blogged about that as well, back in '06 here

E-Volver said...

YES! I finally managed to get a URL link into a comment. I RULE!