5 out of 5! Departed picked up Best Pic, and Scorcese won Best Director.
Martin Scorcese's first Oscar, ladies and gentlemen. How sheerly and truly deserving indeed. I mean, 5 time nominee for films like Raging Bull, Last Temptation of Christ and The Aviator .. and GoodFellas. 5 nominations over 27 years. Christ! Now there's a career.
- Jack Black and Will Ferrell, that was awesome.
- Beyonce Knowles solo of 'Listen' during the Dreamgirls medley. Magical!
- The Leonardo DiCaprio/Al Gore sequence, where Leo keeps asking Gore to announce his candidacy, and then the music starts to play. Nicely done!
- Clint Eastwood fumbling beyond defumblement.
- Crazy drunk guy hanging on to Al Gore during award for An Inconvenient Truth
The ceremonies were lack-lustre though. DeGeneres was subtly humorous, quite similar to the tongue-in-cheek humor of Stewart last year, but nowhere close to the magic that Billy Crystal brought to the plate. Feel that American humor on the whole, has just ... fizzed out. But it was a ceremony of diversity. Italians. Spaniards. An out-of-the-closet lesbian MC. Another married lesbian winner wins for Best Original Song (Ethridge), and thanks her 'wife' during her speech. Best Actor wins for the portrayal of a Ugandan dictator. Best Actress wins for the portrayal of a British royal.
Regardless of dimness, the 79th was truly a melting pot of a ceremony.