Saturday, September 15, 2007

Don't Frustrate. Abbreviate.

Why do people abbreviate as soon as you mention something that may or may not have a universal abbreviation.

"I'm in Investment Banking"
"Wow. I've heard people in IB make a lot of money"

"I've moved to Credit Suisse"
"Nice! The big CSFB"

"I'm a firm believer in Christ"
"Well, I'm Jewish"
"Neat! So was J.C."

What are you trying to prove, smart ass? That you can take the first alphabets of various words and put them together, and this somehow makes you intellectually superior? Do you think it makes you COOL?

Abbreviations were initially invented to shorten multi-syllablic words. Like Intelligence Quotient. Or Magnetic Resonance Imaging.

But people will abbreviate ANYTHING today.

"I'm done with the Street, bro. I've packed up and moved to HK"

That's Hong Kong. HONG KONG. Its not hard to say, mo fo. Its barely two syllables. Urghhhh!

In other news, if New York has NYPD, will Kuala Lumpur have KLPD?

GN!

2 comments:

Paresh said...

LOL KLPD. Now that one took some thought my friend. Cold and effective.

E-Volver said...

Thanks, P. I'm also informed that KLPD also stands for Korps Landelijke Politiediensten (Dutch: National Police of the Netherlands).

Ah, Amsterdam.