Sunday, June 18, 2006

I was asked yesterday by a Tisch-graduate friend of mine to name a scene that really made me think of death in a more palatable and pleasant way, other than the usually morose and morbid approach used by film-makers.

After much thought, the only one that I could tell her about was the pre-closing scene of "City of Angels", when Meg Ryan dies, riding on her bicycle, arms outstretched. She looks so happy, so pleasant, like she's embracing God, embracing the inevitable. Beyond the Roquefort that the rest of the movie was, that scene was pure cinematic magic.

In other news, she is such a doll! That was her at the IIFAs in Dubai! And check out King Khan's youthful glory here. Wow! Did anyone ever think that this mustached-soccer boy will turn the world into a tizzy someday.

Life comes full circle. It really does.

2 comments:

Zeenat Rasheed said...

EEEEEEEEEEEK CREEPY KING KHAN. How is he holding his head up with all that hair?

The funny thing is though, if you take off the mustache, his facial features really haven't changed at all in 25 years. Gotten older, yes, but he's still as unique looking now as he was then. Who else can have a pakora nose, thick lips, and perenially arched eyebrows and be considered hunky?

I remember the first time I saw his face on the cover of a Cine Blitz (circa 1991) and I thought to myself, "Ew, who's this gross looking guy that's trying to become a hero?". Who knew that three years later I'd be egging my sister to post the love letters she'd written out to him after watching DDLJ, and myself swooning all the Raj/Rahul characters he played afterwards...

Well the swooning stopped when he started posing in rose petal bathtubs for Lux and making DVDs about himself and acting like a right a-hole. Plus his movies now suck - all he does his ham his way through any ol' script with his usual routine. V. disappointing for a good actor.

Ok I better stop, I could go on forever with my critical analysis regarding every single SRK role :P

(He sucked in Devdas! Go Madhuri!)

Paresh said...

*hands Xinu a drink* calm down will you. Jeez.