Friday, October 28, 2005

Mangalyam tantunanena
Mama jeevana hetuna
KhanTHe bhadnaami shuBHage
Tvam jeeva sharadaam shatam.

By this sacred thread,
A symbol of my life,
That I auspiciously tie around your neck,
I declare that you may live
To see a hundred autumns!

The auspicious prayer symbolized in Saathiya (Alai Payuthey in Tamil, Sakhi in Telugu). The Telugu version of this movie is very, very close to my heart for several reasons, but the reason I bring this up, is because A.R.Rahman put this sactimonious prayer to music, so aptly. The word is "aptly". Not the raucous mess that Jatin-Lalit did with 'Raghupati Raghav' in K2H2. But APTLY. Keeping the sanctity and ominous feel, but adding modern music to it, to elevate it, not mar it in any way. And the way he merged "O humdum" into it. Sheer brilliance!

No comments: