Friday, November 11, 2005

So my flight back from SFO whizzed by, courtesy of Jhumpa's The Namesake. My two cents? Low on verbosity and high on effective detail - keyword:effective. Quite unlike her *ahem* contemporary Arundhati Roy, whose unnecessary textual diarrhea helped cured my insomnia. With a knack for visually-inspiring prose, Lahiri defines the desi immigrant experience with alacrity and comfortable perception. It seems like she is telling a story that she has wanted to tell for many years. Freeing years of dormant thoughts enthused by her upbringing in America, and using "The Namesake" as a vent gallery for them. Her adequate exposure to both India (particular Bengal) and the US substantially help the book's definitive balance, and do justice to two completely disparate worlds. I'm halfway down, and am looking forward to finishing this one. Highly recommended!

1 comment:

Tee said...

I Love this book