Saturday, October 18, 2008

Currently Sampling: Yuvvraaj

I'm ensconced. That's all I can say. Some of the tracks are so overwhelming and unique, that it may take a while to digest. The union of Ghai and Rahman has always yielded something unprecedented (there is yet no Bollywood parallel to Ramta Jogi or the Western Version of Taal).

So far, the stand-out track for me is "Manmohini". Rendered by new-name Vijay Prakash, who sounds like a blend of Hariharan and Shankar Mahadevan. The song is mellow yet trippy - very world lounge with a distinct classical base, and an interesting beat pattern. Seems like it would mix really well with No Letting Go by Wayne Wonder - especially the opening Dhoom Tana sample.

Very unlike conventional Rahman, as it has a very nouveau-ambient feel with touches of electronica, but I guess he's forever evolving and how. While I haven't formed a comprehensive opinion on it (and I gladly have nearly a month before I review this one), the sound is revolutionarily fresh - a real trip.

No comments: