Friday, April 07, 2006

Better ‘Saif’ Than Sorry

An informal chit-chat with Saif Ali Khan

I had the exceptional opportunity of interacting with Saif while he was touring for the Temptations concert series across the country. With a whirlwind schedule, he rarely had the time to sit down and take a quick breath. The ground management team had been deputed to receive him from La Guardia at 5 am. Usually stars are late, but this time, the ground team were the ones who showed up 20 minutes late. And there was Saif, busily instant messaging on his cellphone. He was an image of energy and zeal, and hardly showed any signs of jet tiredness. And most importantly, he didn’t reprimand them for being late at all. He brushed it off with a simple “Hota hai, yaar”.

Through out the limo drive from La Guardia to his hotel in midtown Manhattan, he continued to show his exclamation at New York City Traffic, which is not too different from Mumbai City with the exception of cattle, two-wheelers and rickshaws. Although the initial symptoms of jet lag were kicking in, he was exuberantly ready for a quick chat.

With regards the upcoming Kerry-Bush Debate, whom do you support?

Frankly I really don’t know the technical difference of being a Republican or a Democratic since I haven’t lived in this country or understood its political policies.. It really doesn’t matter to me as long the party who wins support India.

You’ve been all over America as part of the Temptations Tour. Which is your favorite place to be?

Are you kidding me? New York City, of course! I had a wonderful time with the entire cast and crew of Kal Ho Naa Ho. The best part about the Big Apple is the fact that every time you are here, you feel that there is still so much more to explore. I can never be bored in New York. There’s always so much to do.

Which is your favorite shopping area in New York?

Without doubt, the Village.

What are your favorite designers?

I adore Ralph Lauren’s Polo and DKNY. I really like the Diesel collection as well, as the clothes are the most comfortable. I love to wear them.

With your dad being an exceptional cricketing icon, did you ever think of taking up cricket as a career?

I can't play cricket. Well, not as well as Ajay Jadeja at least. I played a lot of cricket in school. I enjoy the game and of course, its in my blood. I am greatly inspired by my dad. But I didn't want to play club cricket. I wanted to do something where I am among the best in that profession. Today, I feel I have achieved that.

Would you like to share your wildest college experience?

(smiles) Well, my college life was very wild indeed. But being wild in the '80s was not the same as being wild in the '90s. Back in the day, having a couple of cans of beer was wild. Today, its commonplace. We used to party all night and things like that. College was great fun. There was so much independence and ‘masti’ in the air.

I was in boarding school in Winchester, England. I remember that there was a good-looking, burly Italian guy in my school. It was my first night in school and he came up to me saying that I am very sweet and chikna and that he wants to sleep with me on the same bed. I was 11 at the time and started to cry. Then I realised that it was a prank. That was funny. Well not at the time, but today when I look back it, I crack up.

The past few months, there have been many rumors about your personal life….

All I really want to do is clear the rumours regarding me and Amrita. Yes, it’s true that we aren’t staying together. But there’s no bitterness or anguish over it. There have been differences which, we both decided, were best sorted out by parting ways amicably. But wherever I am and whoever I am with, my priority will be my work, my kids and Amrita. I will never let any harm fall on them. I would rather not talk too much about any other aspect of my personal life, especially Roza.

A few weeks back there was this news that you no longer want to be part of multi-starrers or even two-hero projects. Is that true?
That's all rubbish. I know I don't sell solo, so why would I be averse to acting in multi-starcast films? I am perfectly alright with it. No doubt, you sometimes feel insecure in a two-hero film when the other hero has better lines than you, but then you can't help that.

And on that note, I bid Saif goodbye as he went on to catch some sleep at his hotel and geared up for a thunderous performance at the Nassau Colisseum that night. But, I have to admit, that if you’re ever stuck in New York City traffic from Queens to Manhattan, nothing beats the hysterical company of Saif Ali Khan.

No comments: