Friday, February 15, 2008

Hum-surfer

Been sampling KK's new album on my trips, and its a refreshing change from Bollywood. Its been a while since I heard some Indi-pop. The last albums that I enjoyed in entirety were probably Shaan's Tanha Dil and Euphoria's Doom, I mean, Dhoom collection.

Nothing to compare to Pal, which was a phenomenal album, but Humsafar is definitely worth a listen. Interestingly, none of the songs really have any element of stickiness. They have a great sound and a great mood, that maintains itself consistently throughout the album, but if you ask me to hum you a tune (other than Aasmaan Ke), I wouldn't have a clue.

What I like most about KK is that he sticks to his genre, and what suits his voice. He doesn't cram a dozen different genres into an album to prove some kind of hyper-versatility, like other artists. You know the kind who will do a slow song, then a fast song, then a qawwali song, then a rap song, then some wannabe hip/hop (with wierd lines like "come on baby. you and me tonight", because they think it sounds cool) and then an accent-laden english song as well, for good measure. Reminds me of a circus clown going "look at me! aren't I amazing? I can juggle porcupines while I do this too".

In other news, Dr. Evil's Dad did invent the question mark.

1 comment:

Zeenat Rasheed said...

eek! is that him on the cover? i didn't recognize him at all! whats he done to his hair? he looks awful... like a wannabe vivek oberoi (although who on earth would want to be like him?)...